Kumbo is situated between Latitude 5º 6” and 6º 25” North of the equator and
Longitude 10º 12” and 11º 5” East of the Greenwich meridian.
It is the capital of Bui division and is located to the west of the
province of North West province. Kumbo is 109 km from Bamenda the provincial
capital and 1,289 km from Yaounde the political capital of the country.
Bui division like all other divisions of Cameroon has a senior divisional officer.
The local government here is headed by the mayor and consists of councilors.
The traditional authority in Bui division is headed by the paramount Fon of Nso
who has under him village heads called Shufais and Fais.
For over 25 years, the issue of good and accessible roads has been given a deaf
era by the administration. Bui division is the only urban town lacking in this
sphere of development in Cameroon. The roads of Bui division despite the enormous
efforts by the councils, get bad very quickly due to the heavy rains that always pour
in this part of the country.
The major problem the increases poverty as identified by the population in Bui
division is the lack of road infrastructure. The local populations are faced with
a serious problem of getting their farm produce to the market and buyers are also
faced with the problem of getting to the farmers hinterland to buy. This has made the
availability of certain basic necessities such as kerosene, match, and cooking oil
scarce in these parts of the division. We have identified four (4) roads in order of
importance that need urgent attention. These are: Kumbo-Nkuv
There are two big hospitals found in the capital of the division.
These are the Banso Baptist Hospital (BBH) and the Shisong General Hospital.
The majority of the population living out of the divisional capital find it
difficult to get access to these big hospital as such there are quite a good
number of "health centers" many of which are just a name because they lack the
qualified staff and facilities. There are health centers at Kitiwum, Kikaikom,
Kikaikelaki, Tsenla, Ntongni, Mbve, Rovitangta, Bamdzeng, Meluf, Melim, Kai,
Kingomen, Kiyan, Mbah, Dzem and Kikoo.
Problems of health centers:
- Lack of sufficient number of beds for hospitalization
- Lack of basic first aid drugs
- Lack of sufficient accommodation (buildings and beds)
- Insufficient number of staff well trained staff.
The schooling population of this division is quite high but there are not enough
classrooms in the schools that exist and also the quality of education given to
the children calls for concern. Most of the primary schools in the villages lack
enough classrooms to accommodate the large number of pupils. For the secondary schools,
they lack the necessary library facilities and books for the students to be able to read.
Below is a list of the different primary schools and secondary schools in Kumbo district.
- Building the socio-economical and political capacity of underprivileged people especially women and youths.
- Help and support local people discover their potentials through training, guidance and support for sustainable development.
- Narrow the gap between the rich and the poor for increase economic independence of the less advantaged people.
- Fight against common diseases especially HIV/AIDS.
- Create a healthy living environment for local populations.
- Participatory identification of main axes of intervention for better development.
- Support communities in project design, fundraising, implementation and evaluation.
- Creating a center for education and multi-sectorial training to fight unemployment and poverty.
- Capacity building of local associations with emphasis on women and youth associations.
- Reduce health related problems
- Improve on environmental management of natural resources.
- Organize training workshops and seminars on pertinent issues in the division.
- Carry out extensive feasibility studies and project design.
- Fundraising community micro-projects
- Construct farm-to -market roads.
- Support to health centers.
- Promotion of agro-pastoral activities.
- Fundraising for local associations
- Scholarships and sponsorship.
- Assist in the provision of pipe-borne water.
- Fight against Human rights violations.
You can help keep a Kid in School or Sponsor a project by making a secure donation using Paypal or your Debit/Credit Card
KUDOC is also actively seeking volunteer
services especially in the areas of training and grant proposal writing.
Each year KUDOC receives constant requests from orphan kids asking for assistance
to meet up with schooling requirements. For example, a fifty dollar ($50) donation
will take care of the primary school needs of an orphan kid for one academic year.
Click here for more info ...
Farm-to-market roads in rural communities within Bui Division are seriously underdeveloped. Good farm-to-market roads
can go a long way in improving the livelihood of the farmers by allowing them to move their produce to the markets.
KUDOC has also been actively involved in the following areas:
- Portable Water
- Women's initiatives
- Youth initiatives
For a more complete list of the current projects please
For a list of the recently completed projects please